Thursday, January 11, 2007

Time for a New Project

Here's what's in my freezer (not necessarily in order, or in view):

Ground turkey
Dark meat turkey, cubed
1/2 a turkey breast
1 turkey carcass
anasazi beans
chickpeas
black bean and corn casserole
turkey broth
turkey stock
chickpea broth
chicken stock
peas
broccoli
corn
zucchini
spinach
edamame
cookie dough
brown rice
almonds
pine nuts
pecans
walnuts
pistachios
bread crumbs
lime juice
lemon juice
boca burgers
smoked sun-dried tomatoes
1 serving of carrot-ginger soup

Now I have a relatively small freezer, and it's full to capacity. And some of the things in there have been there for a long time. So long that they've become invisible to me.

For the past couple of weeks I've been thinking about a winter project. One year I followed Lynda's lead and decided I was going to make at least one new recipe from every cookbook I owned. Since I owned over a hundred cookbooks at the time (and have even more now), I was pretty much doomed to failure, but I did manage to work my way through quite a few of them, and got some really great recipes out of it.

So here's what I'm thinking for my winter project. By the end of March, I will have used up (or at least used) everything that's in my freezer at this moment.

Don't you think that's a good project? What's in your freezer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you heard of this cookbook? Geoffrey Zakarian's Town/Country: 150 Recipes for Life Around the Table. takes that idea we were talking about as in what is in a persons pantry, makes meals around it. i have not seen it myself, but saw the chef on tv.
hi from miami
nicole

dejamo said...

I haven't heard of that book Nicole, but it does sound interesting. I'll have to take a look at it.

It's funny you're talking about that, because I've been thinking about my all-too-brief "What's In Your Pantry" period and have been considering reviving it. I think it was part of the impulse that led me to examine what was in my freezer.

Enjoy the sunshine, chica!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...