Sunday, July 27, 2008

Radish, Beet and Green Bean Saute

I picked up these beauties at the green market. The last time I bought the French breakfast radishes I sliced them and made this nice little radish and celery saute. This year I had the green beans and the first batch of baby beets as well. I thought they would all play well together.

And they did. All of the vegetables have subtle, but distinct, flavors that complement each other perfectly. The celery was particularly green and leafy so I chopped the greens off and added those to the mix as well. Celery greens are to celery what lemon zest is to lemons - flavor intensified. If you're making soup, be sure to add the celery greens. You will be amazed at the extra flavor they provide. Sometimes, if I'm not making soup or cooking the celery, I will freeze the greens and use them the next time I am.

I blanched the green beans and the radishes and pre-cooked and peeled the beets, so the actual cooking of this dish went pretty quickly. The onion and celery were the only things that I cooked, and they went into the skillet first.

This worked as a beautiful side dish to my new baked chicken. It would work equally well with any other entree.
Home Cookin Chapter: My Recipes

RADISH, BEET AND GREEN BEAN SAUTE
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2 medium onion
1 cup chopped celery, cut from top of stalk with leaves if there are any
1 bunch French breakfast radishes, sliced on the bias
1 pint green beans, stripped, broken into 1-1/2" pieces, and blanched
1 bunch baby beets, boiled, peeled and sliced
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp oregano or tarragon
1 Tbsp butter

Heat oil. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Saute until translucent. Add celery and saute about 2 minutes more. Add radishes, saute 2 more minutes. Add beets and cook for five more minutes. Turn off heat, add lemon zest, juice and parsley. Add butter and stir. Serve immediately.

Good with baked chicken breasts cooked with thyme and marjoram.

Created: 16 June 2008

Exported from Home Cookin 5.6 (www.mountain-software.com)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...